- Training & Events
The Dean Larivee Memorial Bursary
Each year the BCFTOA awards one or more $500 Bursary's to the son/daughter of an active member of a participating department to support post secondary academic goals.
The BCFTOA Bursary was first awarded in 2003 and was renamed the Dean Larivee Memorial Bursary in honour of Dean’s dedication and many contributions to the BCFTOA, fire service training and the fire service in general.
"ABBOTSFORD, BC July 14th, 2006 – Flags are flying at half-mast at Abbotsford fire halls after a local firefighter lost his battle with a disease linked to his on-the-job service. Capt. Dean Larivee passed away earlier this week, nearly nine months after he was diagnosed with leukemia. He is believed to be the first person to be covered under recent legislation that presumes firefighters diagnosed with certain types of cancer contracted the disease as a result of fighting flames."
Awarding of the bursary is based on:
- Academic standing – GPA
- Preference given to student taking a Fire Service related discipline.
- Association with the BCFTOA via a member of a fire department who is in good standing.
Application Deadline: In order to qualify applications must be received between January 1 and May 15 of the current year. Completed applications will be accepted by mail or email, no later than May 15 of the current year.
- Cameron Hepp - Son of Deputy Chief Wade Hepp, Sproat Lake FD.
- Brady Ullyot - Son of Assistant Chief Jeff Ullyot, Chilliwack FD.
- Laura Monsen - Daughter of Deputy Chief Duane Monsen, Castlegar FD.
- Bradley Chatton – Son of Assistant Chief Rob Chatton, Pitt Meadows FD.
- Cody Britz – Son of Lt. Daryl Britz, Parksville, FD.
- Kendyl Peters – Daughter of Deputy Chief Terry Peters, Powell River FD.
- Nicole Hepp – Daughter of Deputy Chief Wade Hepp, Sproat Lake FD.
·Nicole Dimock - Daughter of Norm Dimock, Grand Forks FD.
Conference & HOT
Penticton - Summerland
Member Department Profile
Every month or two, the BCFTOA website will feature a profile of a member fire department.